Welcome...

Thank you for checking out our blog... We are the Oakden's from Christchurch - New Zealand, a little city in a little country that has become synonymous with earthquakes. Since September 4th 2010 we have literally had thousands of earthquakes... people often ask how we are still living here - and how we put up with all the shaking, and the not knowing what is going to happen... But it's simple. Christchurch is home, it's who we are - it's part of us... it's where our little family was created, and I guess that gives us roots to this shaky city. It's going to take a lot more to make us want to leave.

March 28, 2011

To the principals office we go....

Today I enrolled Gaby in primary (elementary) school - WOW, what a feeling!!!  I don't know if I am sad or REALLY excited about it... My baby is not a baby anymore - I am planning on getting her school uniform & taking her to her 'school readiness' class, purchasing her 'big girl' school bag, getting name tags made up.  Wow.

We met with the principal and he was really nice, made me feel very happy with my decision to send her to that particular school!  As far as 'decile' goes, it is low (meaning most of the children who make up the student population are from low socio-economic areas) - however the class size is small & that was really the most important thing for me when it came to finding a school for her.  Right through primary & intermediate (middle) school I was in a class of 25 at the most, whereas a lot of the classes around here are 30+.. and I really want Gaby to have that more intimate setting, where the teacher has more time to spend working 1 on 1 with the kids.

I have to say, she looked SO in place at the school - like she really belonged there.  The kids were having their morning break while we were there, and Gaby was a lot bigger than some of the new entrants.. very cute!

I'm feeling old now... dealing with the school principal as a PARENT, and not as a student...  Being in a school and rather than dreaming of the day when I'd finally be out of there, I was organising the beginning of my daughters schooling.

I feel like the parent of a child now, and not just the parent of 'two little kids'....

I can't believe my silly little girl is going to be a school girl this year

No comments:

Post a Comment