Welcome...

Thank you for checking out our blog... We are the Oakden's from Christchurch - New Zealand, a little city in a little country that has become synonymous with earthquakes. Since September 4th 2010 we have literally had thousands of earthquakes... people often ask how we are still living here - and how we put up with all the shaking, and the not knowing what is going to happen... But it's simple. Christchurch is home, it's who we are - it's part of us... it's where our little family was created, and I guess that gives us roots to this shaky city. It's going to take a lot more to make us want to leave.

November 14, 2011

Little Miss Attitude

Since Gaby turned the big 5 her attitude has suddenly changed SO much - she's almost acting like a hormonal teenager, which terrifies me.. I didn't think I'd have to deal with this sort of behaviour for another few years.  She just doesn't listen, and when she does listen, will reply with a grunt or a sigh or a roll of the eyes.  I think part of it is that she's tired - but if she goes to sleep any earlier she will be missing dinner... she is in bed at 7pm every night! 

It's funny seeing them growing up, becoming their own persons - and becoming nice and headstrong.  That is what I try to remind myself - she's learning to be her own person, learning to stand up for herself - she's figuring out what she likes and doesn't like... I just wish she would do it in a way that was more... smiley and laughy and non-eye-rolley!

At the same time though, she's also becoming one fantastic little kids - still so sweet with her little sister, so caring... and her personality is definitely shining through, particularly her sense of humor - she definitely has my side of the families sense of humor, which is a good thing (I think).  She thought she was hilarious the other day when she said to her little friend Belle "hey Belle - can I ring your bell?"... I had to laugh, because it was kind of funny...

I'm so proud of her as far as school goes - learning to read and write and spell - doing all the things 'big kids' do.  I wasn't sure I was ready for a 'big kid', but I can tell already that we're entering a fantastic new phase in her life, and I really cannot wait to watch her blossom - intellectually and personally!

No comments:

Post a Comment